7 tips to help your dog with a fear of fireworks
As nice as it is for a person to celebrate New Year, it's not so nice for a dog, especially when the loud fireworks go off the whole night. This is really frightening for many dogs.
Read our 7 tips on how you can help your dog with his fear of fireworks. Many people are too busy planning their celebrations for New Year's Eve and forget to make the necessary preparations for their dog.
Help your dog through the New Year with these tips:
You can't change how your dog feels about fireworks, but with these tips you can make his/her night a bit more comfortable.
- Make sure you dog is in a place where they feel secure. Preferably in their own home. Are you celebrating with friends or family? Take your beloved pet with you, and make sure that you stay close to them when the fireworks begin. You can also bring a favourite toy.
- Even if your dog is in a familiar place, make sure you don't lock them up. Does you dog like to sit in his crate? Leave it open so your dog can leave it when they are frightened.
- Of course it's better to keep your dog indoors when there are fireworks. Because of his/her fear, they can become disoriented and run away, unable to find their way back home.
- If your dog stays home alone, make sure that he/she has enough water so they can drink when the fear is reduced. It is also recommended that you leave your dog in a room with good insulation against noise. If possible, look for a dogsitter who will walk your dog before and after the fireworks.
- An anxious or frightened dog can display weird behaviour, like barking or howling. Don't discipline your dog because this only raises their stress levels. Ignoring them isn't a good way to deal with the stress either. Your dog needs you at this moment. Stay close and comfort him/her.
- One of the best ways to prepare your dog is to make loud bangs or to play firework sounds. You can do this just before dinner, before a walk of before playing. This customisation to noise can take up to 3 to 4 months. If you don't have that much time, use this tip in combination with other tips.
- Help your dog in a natural way using Bach Flowers. Bach Flower mix 100 helps your dog to remain calm and be less afraid of loud explosions. It is recommended you start Bach flowers with your dog two weeks in advance. You can do this in combination with the above tips. When your dog becomes more stressed during the night of the fireworks, you can increase the frequency of the intake of Bach Flowers. Read more about Bach Flower mix 100.
These tips are not only useable with fireworks. Many dogs are also afraid from lightning and thunder for example. These tips can help you with storms. And remember, it's not just dogs who are afraid of loud explosions, cats and horses don't like these loud sounds either.
It’s such a positive thing to do and hope springs eternal, so why not commit yourself to a change this year? Here’s our tips on how to stick to your new year’s resolutions.
What can you do if your kid doesn't want to go back to school? Here are our hints and tips to help if your child is expressing a refusal to go to school.
Lynn Anderson told it very nicely in her song “I beg your pardon; I never promised you a rose garden”. Life isn’t all roses and everybody experiences something they would rather not once in their life.Read the complete article
After 25 years in the Bach flower world, we asked ourselves, is now the right time for our own new name? Not only have we grown, but so have you, along with the confidence you have in us. That's why we want to connect ourselves to our own name. That name is Mariepure.
Have you considered yoga? There are many advantages to practicing yoga. It is a holistic practice benefitting you physically, emotionally & mentally.
Some people are overly sensitive to the time change and it can take days, if not weeks, for them to feel right again, while others barely even notice.Read the complete article
We simply can’t avoid noticing the changes all around us. Autumn is here... Autumn is also called a transitional season. Slowly and steadily, it prepares us for the transition...Read the complete article
Being happy is something everybody strives for, but unfortunately there are a lot of people who go through life unhappily. A lot of people take life how it is.Read the complete article