20 signs of a lack of concentration
Do you have a lack of focus?
How often do you find yourself saying to someone, “Sorry, where was I?” A lack of concentration is a problem that many of us experience from time to time. We only really need to worry about it when it starts recurring too often and impacts on our daily lives, but of course these sudden moments of forgetfulness or lack of focus can be scary and unsettling.
Usually they are just a sign of stress and are hints that we should slow down and take our foot off the gas for a while.
20 signs of a lack of concentration
- You struggle to stay focused on the job or task in hand
- You can’t remember where you left something (car keys, wallet, purse, driving license etc.)
- You feel disorientated and don’t know where you are
- You lose your train of thought
- You’re unable to articulate a thought you have had
- General forgetfulness
- You forget someone’s name
- You have to keep re-reading something
- Your mind wanders while you’re at work
- You struggle to finish anything
- You procrastinate a great deal
- You struggle to get motivated
- You can’t wake up without a cup of coffee
- You can’t remember things that occurred a short time ago
- You have difficulty sitting still
- You have difficulty thinking clearly
- You struggle to make decisions
- You are unable to perform complicated tasks
- You lack the physical or mental energy to concentrate
- You keep making careless mistakes
Physical reasons for a lack of concentration
The physical reasons for a lack of concentration include:
- Hormonal changes – especially during pregnancy and the menopause
- Stroke – caused by a lack of blood flow to the brain can result in memory loss or failure to concentrate.
- Thyroid problems can change brain cell activity
- Head injuries
What you can do about your lack of concentration
Use relaxation techniques to slow yourself down. You can try out Pilates, yoga, swimming, or you can access some meditation techniques, either online or at a class.
Consider whether you are suffering with depression or anxiety. Unfortunately, depression can lead to a lack of focus and loss of concentration. You may require medical treatment in severe cases.
Get plenty of sleep, because sleep deprivation can lead to a lack of focus. Again, you may need to consider any underlying causes of insomnia and treat those.
Ease off any stimulants or addictive substances you use. This can include alcohol or recreational drugs of course, but may also include caffeine, nicotine, sugar etc. These can mean your brain functions less than optimally. Some prescribed medication will also have this effect, so check with your doctor if this may be the cause of your concentration problems.
If most of your problems concentrating happen at work, it may be time to consider whether you need a new job. If you were interested and stimulated in the workplace, would your mind be wandering at all?
Improve your concentration
You can improve your concentration levels by trying to remain mentally sharp. Challenge yourself by doing puzzles, crosswords, learning to play an instrument or learning a new language, take part in quizzes, or even play computer games.
Try and memorise things. We used to have to do this a lot before the dawning of the computer age. You can still try and memorise phone numbers etc., but why not try poetry or short pieces of prose, or your bank account or national insurance numbers too?
After 25 years in the Bach flower world, we asked ourselves, is now the right time for our own new name? Not only have we grown, but so have you, along with the confidence you have in us. That's why we want to connect ourselves to our own name. That name is Mariepure.
Being happy is something everybody strives for, but unfortunately there are a lot of people who go through life unhappily. A lot of people take life how it is.Read the complete article
As nice as it is for a person to celebrate New Year, it's not so nice for a dog, especially when the loud fireworks go off the whole night. This is really frightening for many dogs. Read our 7 tips on how you can help your dog with his fear of fireworks.
It’s such a positive thing to do and hope springs eternal, so why not commit yourself to a change this year? Here’s our tips on how to stick to your new year’s resolutions.
Have you considered yoga? There are many advantages to practicing yoga. It is a holistic practice benefitting you physically, emotionally & mentally.
What can you do if your kid doesn't want to go back to school? Here are our hints and tips to help if your child is expressing a refusal to go to school.
We simply can’t avoid noticing the changes all around us. Autumn is here... Autumn is also called a transitional season. Slowly and steadily, it prepares us for the transition...Read the complete article
Some people are overly sensitive to the time change and it can take days, if not weeks, for them to feel right again, while others barely even notice.Read the complete article
Lynn Anderson told it very nicely in her song “I beg your pardon; I never promised you a rose garden”. Life isn’t all roses and everybody experiences something they would rather not once in their life.Read the complete article